Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Two WeeKs

Stats--

  •      Height: He grew 3/4 of an inch! Now Maverick is a whopping 20.75 inches long. He is a little above average.
  •      Weight: In the last week Maverick gained 13 ounces. So now he weighs 7lbs 14 oz. 2 more and I can carry him around in a sling thing! Can't wait. 
  •      Others: They measured the circumference of his head again, but I left the paper on the table. So oh well--who cares anyways?!


Firsts: I need to Google a list of firsts, post them, and then check them off when they happen. A week is too long to keep track of! He did have his first little surgery...wait until you read about that below.
             *Maverick tried to pee on me for the first time! I dodged the pee fountain and covered him before he could do too much damage. It happened again to his Grandma Ally yesterday. haha I'm so nervous every time I change him now.

Feeding: We are feeding about every 2-3 hours during the day and then 3-4 hours at night. Last night he let me sleep a whole 5 hours! Go Mav! Thank you, thank you. We did go through quite a rough patch with the eating. I even had to pump and spoon feed him at one point. By Monday he was back to eating great on a pretty decent schedule. He's also latching pretty quickly now. Much less fussiness, but he still has a lot of gas. Pediatrician said his stomach is just immature and still developing.

Sleeping: Not as good of a sleeper as the first week of life, but I think that's normal. He still sleeps on a pretty good schedule and especially during/after car rides. I really can't complain. He's GREAT.

Best thing this week: Still everything about having a baby is amazing. Even when he cries, it's still the best sound. We got to share Maverick for a whole weekend with our first overnight house guests, Kelly, Jason, and Aidan. That was really fun. We also took a 2 miles walk with the stroller. He did great and so did Mom-C-section recovery and all.

Worst thing this week: I feel like such a Debbie Downer with all of these awful stories, but HOLY COW. This poor child has been tortured the first 14 days of his life. Last Thursday, Feb. 6th (my original induction date, if I was late), we took Maverick to Dr. Sierra's office to get his tongue and lip tie looked at. Dr. assured us that he definitely has a textbook case of both. He explained all of the complications it could cause now and in the future. He also commended us on coming in so early. I'm so glad Trish, the lactation consultant referred us right away. She's AWESOME. To revise the tongue and lip tie they take a laser and clip the skin under the tongue and the skin on the gums up under the top lip. Dr. Sierra asked if either of us wanted to go in with him. HELL NO. I was crying just as we was explaining the procedure. Kyle opted out too. Who wants to watch their poor baby go through surgery-even if it only lasts 5 minutes and doesn't even bleed?! We waited in the waiting room for about 10 minutes and then they brought us back to see him. I was allowed to nurse right after, but between the trauma and the numbness, Maverick didn't want to nurse. He just snuggled. Timing sucked because by the time we got home he was pretty much over due for a feeding. Now that the numbness had wore off, he REALLY wasn't down for the nursing. Needless to say, Maverick was hysterical and I was crying. Poor Kyle probably didn't know what to do with the two of us. I just kept telling Maverick how sorry I was he had to have the surgery and it'd be better in the end. I also kept begging him to eat. After almost a solid hour of crying and not eating (which now put him at like 5 1/2 or 6 hours without eating), I dug out my hand pump. Thank goodness I threw it in my bag. We weren't planning on staying the night at our house. We were planning on going back to my parents', so we didn't have very much with us. I pumped about 2 ounces and had to spoon feed him. It was awful, but at least he ate. We did a lot of skin to skin cuddling. I had to pump more and spoon feed again at some point. Kyle was very supportive and awesome. He went out and got Infant Natural Orajel and Infant Tylenol, which helped. All of this exhausting crying and hurting and everything else put Maverick into a loooong sleep. He woke up a lot at night and slept during the day. He was backwards! So Friday and Saturday we worked on getting him back into his regular routine. It took us probably until last night to get back in the awesome schedule we originally had. Yesterday, I met with my awesome lactation consultant at the Baby Cafe in Brandon and she checked up on him. She said he's healing great and watched me feed. His latch is good, his position is good, and I got a few other questions answered. I don't regret doing the surgery, but OMG.

 Check out Maverick's two week picture on the "Maverick's Mugshots" page.


No comments:

Post a Comment